|Contact Person:||Eric Richter|
|Last Update:||October 2013|
|VM Host (Physical):||europa|
|Services:||XMPP, Mumble, Xonotic, Battle for Wesnoth, Armagetronad|
|Hostname:||game.cslabs.clarkson.edu & xmpp.cslabs.clarkson.edu|
|Operating system:||Debian 7 (Wheezy) x64|
|Development Status:||In Development|
Game is a virtual machine currently temporarily running on Europa (until Juno is rebuilt), that hosts several games and other recreational services listed below. NOTE Game is currently OFFLINE. The information below is provided for historical purposes.
Hosted on Game
Connecting to Services
You need to register an account with the server first, most clients can handle this. (See setup for Pidgin) The server hostname to use is xmpp.cslabs.clarkson.edu. The server also supports SSL encryption. Chat rooms are hosted at conference.xmpp.cslabs.clarkson.edu.
Setup for Pidgin
Pidgin is an open-source, cross platform program that handles multiple chat protocols, and is present on all the Lab machines.
- To set up an account, when you open the application click Accounts > Manage Accounts.
- Then click "Add...", and change the protocol to XMPP.
- Enter your desired username and password, and for domain, enter xmpp.cslabs.clarkson.edu.
- Resource is optional - it is a name for your current method of connection, such as "Pidgin"... anything is fine here, see [page] for more detailed information
- If you are on a lab machine, make sure to leave "save password" unchecked!
- Finally, if you are making a new account, be sure to check "Create this new account on the server" at the bottom... this will register you with the XMPP server. Otherwise, the account will be set up in Pidgin but unable to connect to the server.
Adding a Friend
Adding a friend is easy, click Buddies > Add Buddy... Enter the friend's username in the username field, but be sure to add @xmpp.cslabs.clarkson.edu! This is important, otherwise the user will not be able to be found. So for example, firstname.lastname@example.org is a valid complete username. In addition, you may optionally add an alias in the following entry box to specify a real, or alternate name for the user, which will instead appear on your buddy list, and in the chat window.
Creating/Joining a Chat Room
Creating and joining a chat room uses the same method, as a chat room is created if the name does not exist. Simply click Buddies > Join a Chat..., enter the room name, and leave the server as the default conference.xmpp.cslabs.clarkson.edu. You may optionally change your handle (name), and set a password for the session in the last two boxes.
Common chat rooms are:
- More to come...?