Virtual Machine Guidelines
Before requesting a Virtual Machine for personal or open use, please review this page to ensure that your service is something that belongs on our servers. This is not a strict set of rules, and nor is this meant to deter the creation of new VMs.
Virtual Machine Hosts
Currently (as of Feb. 2014), Titan is slated to be a redundant system for Europa. In the sudden and inevitable demise of Europa, the VMs hosted on Europa will fail-over to Titan.
Juno, although also slated for a rebuild, is for smaller systems, or student projects. This is mostly the server new VMs will be created on.
- Services must be for non-commercial use. (Note: This includes services like bitcoin mining)
- Services must be legal (by US, NY laws) in operation and storage.
- Services must considerate of the VM Host's resources, as well as other services in the lab. (Subject to VM Host's Maintainer's discretion)
- Services must be created with good intent. (i.e. non-malicious)
- Services must be well documented. Undocumented services will be stopped until adequate documentation is provided on the wiki.
- Services are to be backed up by the Service Maintainer (i.e. YOU).
- COSI is not responsible for any loss of data.
- Uptime is not guaranteed. If the downtime is excessive, contact the VM Host Maintainer.