MP*51 is a set of multidisciplinary project courses that have been set up to award course credit for participation in COSI and for open source projects in general. MP151 is for freshman, MP251 for sophomores, MP351 is for juniors, MP451 is for seniors and MP551 is for graduate students. It is available to enroll in each of these courses for between 0 and 3 credits.
When you enroll in an MP*51 course, the number of credit hours you register for determines the expectations. There are also some activities that are required of all students enrolled in an MP*51 course even those taking MP*51 for zero credits. The following table describes these expectations. Exceptions can be made to adjust requirements on a case by case basis (e.g. taking 2 credits but not following an existing open source group because you are contributing heavily to an open source project), but that requires prior discussion and arrangement.
Everyone including zero credit students are responsbile for attending regular COSI meetings, submitting a web page at midterm time and at the end of the semester and contributing to COSI-wide projects as specified by the student directors and faculty advisor of COSI.
- Attend regular COSI meetings
- 5 hours contribution to overall COSI projects including open houses, lab maintenance
- Take turns recording and posting notes for the weekly meetings
- Web page summarizing experiences/contributions at midterm time and updated for end of semester
|| Learn, Summarize, and Report
- All requirements for 0 credits.
- Overall projects should require approximately 3 hours per week of work. Additional 5 hours contribution (10 total) to overall COSI projects including open houses and lab maintenance
- Actively seek knowledge on specific topics related to computing and open source software, master new skills
- Share what you are learning with others, produce tutorials/documentation
- Take on an active role/responsibility in the lab.
- Must produce and post documentation about what you learned.
|| Teach and Outreach
- All requirements for 1 credits.
- Overall projects should require approximately 6 hours per week of work. Additional 5 hours contribution (15 total) to overall COSI projects including open houses and lab maintenance
- Run a workshop or lab session in which you share your expertise with others
- Must produce and post notes/presentation materials.
- Take on active role/responsibility in the lab.
|| Produce, Solve, and Lead
- All requirements for 2 credits.
- Overall projects should require approximately 9 hours per week of work Additional 5 hours contribution (20 total) to overall COSI projects including open houses and lab maintenance
- Produce specific improvements to COSI and the open source community (write code for an open source project, take a leadership role in managing/maintaining the COSI lab)
- MP*51 — A list of all MP*51 semesters and students/projects within each.