|Contact Person:||Jared Dunbar|
|Last Update:||July 2017|
|Services:||server status collection server|
Management (stat3) is a vm used for monitoring the status of hosts in the server room, ie. checking the CPU, RAM, and hard drive stats, among other configurable things.
Each computer in the server room that is configured sends data periodically which will be shown in an uptime page on a webpage that can easily be used to determine system uptime and service uptime among other things.
Also, you can view COSI network stats at
http://management.cosi.clarkson.edu/cacti with the csguest user (and default password) in raw data at http://stat.cosi.clarkson.edu/data since Cacti broke (again)
Installing Management Clients
Required Software: Git, g++, make
apt update && apt install make g++ git
Clone with Git
First, set git to allow all certificates, and get the files using Git.
git config --global http.sslVerify false git clone https://gitlab.cosi.clarkson.edu/jared/manage2client.git
Re-secure the system by only accepting repos with certificates.
git config --global http.sslVerify true
Move the folder to the root.
mv manage2client /manage
Move the systemd service to the systemd serivces folder
sudo mv /manage/manage.service /etc/systemd/system/manage.service
If the hard drive you want to track is not /dev/sda1, select a different mount point to track in totaldisk.sh and useddisk.sh
If you want to have virsh, edit run.sh, and un-comment the line with virsh.sh
If you want to poll faster, change sleep from 30 to 5. Any faster, and the Linux scheduler will fall behind on busy boxes.
Compile Management for your platform
Enable Systemd Services
sudo systemctl enable manage sudo systemctl start manage
Email email@example.com to get the server added to the whitelist
Installing Management Server
Start with an Arch VM
Clear the contents and enter this on the first line, and save
Copy example ethernet-static to netctl folder
cp /etc/netctl/examples/ethernet-static /etc/netctl/ehternet
Clear the contents and set it to this:
Description='A basic static ethernet connection' Interface=ens3 # Make sure this is the interface or you won't have a network Connection=ethernet IP=static Address=('18.104.22.168/24') Gateway='22.214.171.124' DNS=('126.96.36.199')
- Create a monitoring system that can monitor all of the servers, battery backups, network, and also some temperature sensors placed through the server room at strategic locations
- Notify computers of when to power down in a power outage
- Create API's that can be used to interface the management platform
- Update ALL instances of Management to stat3 when client completed (and depricate the old versions - we still have versions of Management 1.0 and manage2client out there)
- Create new server with authentication (both real encryption and perhaps OpenComputers compatible for Minecraft servers :P)
* Configurable low power options * Email Notifications * Shutdowns
- Sensors Interface - configurability is a must
- Better web interface? Cookies? Logins? LDAP? PAM?
- Ability for custom messages, custom dashboards?